Get even more delicious and quick food ideas from dinner to dessert, HERE!
Jodi’s Chicken Noodle Soup (IP and Stove Top versions)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (feel free to do boneless skinless thighs too)
- 3 ribs of celery, sliced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons butter (i may use more next time for more flavor)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 7 cups of chicken broth or chicken stock
(HINT: It is better the 2nd day.)
Stove top Version:
Use all the same ingredients listed above.
Cook your chicken on the stove top, in the oven OR slow cook it all day!!! Add seasonings and butter. SAVE any and all broth that is made from cooking it. You will still use 7 cups of broth. Shred or cut the cooked chicken. Bring the broth to a boil. Add the carrots, celery, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook for about 20 minutes at a rolling boil until carrots are pretty soft. Add the chicken. Keep it at a nice boil and add the noodles. Cook for another 10 minutes at a boil. Then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes until ready to serve. This one is also better the next day.
Jodi’s Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Red Sauce – with meat (cooked & mixed together)
- (use either your fave jar OR make from scratch)
- Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles
- Whipped Cream Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
To begin – the red sauce doesn’t even have to be hot. That’s why this recipe is great for leftover red sauce.
Spray bottom of slow cooker with a little cooking spray. Spoon 1 thin layer or meat/sauce mixture on bottom. Then spread a thin layer of cream cheese on uncooked lasagna noodle. (break them if you need to make them fit your slow cooker)
Next, sprinkle some of the shredded cheese. Top that cheesy layer with a little of the meat mixture. Then you repeat – starting with spreading the whipped cream cheese on the uncooked long noddle. Do shredded cheese again, then red sauce. Top that layer of sauce with a little more shredded cheese. THEN you are ready to cover it tightly in the slow cooker. Put it on low, and cook for 3 – 3 ½ hours. DO NOT open it to check on it. (that cuts slow cooking time down by 30 minutes)
It should be perfect and ready after 3 – 3 ½ hours. SO good!!!!
***no need to go heavy on any of the layers. But use the amounts YOU like. There is no hard measurement for the cheeses…..that’s your call.
Easy “No Bean” Chili
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of diced or stewed tomatoes
- Water (about 1 cup)
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 2 pkgs of chili seasoning (I use low sodium)
Cook meat (draining it is optional) Then mix in seasoning, some water and the entire can of tomato sauce. I usually put in the stewed tomatoes here also. My picky eaters sometimes ask me to skip that. Depends on my mood whether I do or not!! Then add corn and stir. Cover and let it all simmer for at least 20 minutes. I let my last one simmer (low) for almost 2 hours. Stir often enough so that it doesn’t stick.
IMPORTANT! Serve with: Corn chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado & jalapenos!!
White Chicken Chili in the slow cooker
- 3-4 chicken breast
- 2 cans white corn
- 1 can white beans
- 1 can cream of chicken
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can rotel
- 1 lb velvetta
- 8oz sour cream
- 1 package white chicken chili seasoning
- 1 bag frozen seasoning mix (onions, bell peppers and celery)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
Sauté seasoning mix. Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cook low 6-8 hours or on high 4-6 hours.
Easy Potato Soup
from Eating Well Through Cancer
Starting with hash browns means no peeling potatoes which makes this an incredibly fabulous, yet simple soup.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 6 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, partially thawed
- 6 cups fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1(12-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk, divided
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onions, cheese, turkey bacon, optional toppings
1. In large nonstick pot, combine hash browns, broth, and onion; bring to boil, reduce heat, and
cook, covered, 8-10 minutes.
2. In small bowl, whisk together flour with 1/3 cup evaporated milk. Add to potato mixture with remaining milk. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook, stirring, 5 minutes or until thickened.
3. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt; don’t boil after adding, stirring until well combined. Season to taste.
Terrific Tidbit: I like using Greek yogurt as it is richer, and creamer. If you feel better, you can add condiments such as green onions, turkey bacon or cheese
Nutritional Nugget: Greek yogurt is higher in calcium than plain yogurt.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 256 kcal, Calories from Fat 2%, Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 2 mg, Sodium 1051 mg, Carbohydrates 51 g, Dietary Fiber 4 g, Total Sugars 10 g, Protein 13 g, Dietary Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 fat free milk
You can always get more from Holly (like all of her cookbooks and some recipes!) at HollyClegg.com
Jodi’s Simple Slow Cooked Roast
- 1 Chuck Roast
- 1 pack of Onion Soup Mix (I used Lipton)
- 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
Sprinkle the roast with the dry soup mix, rub it in on both sides.
Place the roast in the slow cooker. Then spoon the mushroom soup into the slow cooker on and on the sides of roast. Cover, and cook for 6-7 hours on low. The juices with mix with the soup and make a GREAT gravy!
You CAN add fresh carrots and potatoes. We serve it with rice since there’s so much good gravy.
Want to hear more?
See more at Murphy, Sam & Jody.