Ending a relationship, especially with someone you actually loved, is not fun and is never easy. No matter how you swing it, both parties get hurt. So in the interest of protecting both your hearts, read the following guide to ending things like a grown-up
Do Not Ghost Break up
- A ghost breakup is when you just disappear without any word or warning. Everyone deserves closure. You should be honest and let them know how you feel. Don’t leave them in the dark.
Do Not Speak In Cliches.
- Just be honest. Don’t say things like “It’s not you, it’s me”, or “I’m not ready to commit right now”, or the crowd favorite; “I love you; I’m just not in love with you”.
Just Do It And Get It Over With
- Don’t beat around the bush. It’s like ripping off a band aid. It may sting at first but it’s best to just get it over with. Time heals all wounds, so prolonging the pain won’t do any good.
Treat The Person With Respect.
- Remember to act your age. This means no name-calling and no saying hurtful things as a last resort. You clearly dated them for a reason, so unless they turned out to be a complete schmuck you should remain gracious toward them.
Cut Ties On Social Media
- Above all else, this is the cardinal rule. Remaining in contact with your ex will hold you back from beginning the next chapter in your life. It hurts like the dickens at first, but trust us when we say it’ll do you better in the long run.
Want to hear more? Listen to Murphy Sam and Jodi: On Demand
See more on the Murphy, Sam & Jody website.