MONTGOMERY – Montgomery’s Sanitation and Landfill teams have worked around the clock to collect yard trash – which includes leaves, limbs and similar debris. All garbage pick-up is on-schedule. Garbage includes anything that goes into the green cans, while trash comprises loose leaves, yard clippings, fallen limbs and other debris.
“We are all hands on deck and treating this as if it is an emergency situation,” City of Montgomery Public Works Director Chris Conway said. “This is not atypical when dealing with back-to-back severe storms and summer holidays, but we anticipate being back on track by the end of the week.”
Several recent storms resulted in an increased amount of curbside trash. The increase in severe weather came amid three federal holidays – Memorial Day, Juneteenth and Independence Day – leaving Sanitation with three fewer work days to collect significant increased tonnage of trash. In order to resolve the situation, the City’s Sanitation and Landfill Departments – as well as volunteers from Street Maintenance – are now working overtime on weekends and evenings – including Sundays.
Montgomery Sanitation customers may utilize the Saturday trash drop-off locations listed below on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month. Additionally, the City opened a new Citizen Convenience Center near the old Smiley Court on the 3500 Block of the West Blvd., which is open and accepts drop-off loads of trash five days a week.
- Smiley Circle, 3500 Block West Blvd.
- Cramton Bowl, North Parking Lot.
- Goodwyn Jr. High School, 209 Perry Hill Road.
- Halcyon Elementary School, 1501 Parkview Dr.
- Harrison Elementary School, 164 East South Blvd.
- Hayneville Road Elementary School, 3315 Hayneville Road.
- Montgomery Mall Location, 2899 E. South Blvd.
- Morningview School, 2849 Pelzer Ave.
- Sheridan Heights Comm. Center, 3501 Faro Lane.
- Southlawn Middle School, 5533 Mobile Hwy.
- Vaughn Road School, 4407 Vaughn Road.
- Wares Ferry Road Elem. School, 6425 Wares Ferry Road.
For more information on City Sanitation services, please visit www.montgomeryal.gov.